Saturday 7 March 2015

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Walking towards Death

Walking towards Death

Nanjo: ............Again. ...So, you still haven't overcome your love of alcohol?

The old physician let out a sigh as he removed the stethoscope.

Two elderly men could be seen in the dimly-lit study, which was filled with dust and a sickly-sweet stench.

In the corner of this room, which was much larger than what most people would call a study, there was an expensive-looking bed, a man undergoing a medical examination, and the physician conducting it. There was also what appeared to be a servant watching over the whole scene.

Kinzo: The bottle is my friend. It is no less of a friend than you, and it has stood by my side even longer than you have.

As the man who had bared his chest for the stethoscope rearranged his clothes, he spoke unapologetically.

Nanjo: ............Kinzo-san. ...Your body only appears to be well thanks to the effects of the medicine. However, if you continue to drink such strong spirits, the treatment will become meaningless. ...Trust my judgement. Refrain from drinking.

Kinzo: I thank you, though only for the sentiment. My friend. .........Genji. Another glass. Water it down slightly. That way Nanjo can save face.

Genji: .........Are you quite sure?

After eyeing both the master who demanded the alcohol and the family doctor who forbade it, Genji, the old butler, silently gave a slight nod and carried out his master's orders faithfully.

The family doctor, Nanjo, let out a deep sigh once again as he watched the butler busy himself alongside the liquor cabinet...

There was a smell filling up the room.

...This sweet, poisonous aroma felt as though it melted the heart, if not the soul itself. It was the smell of that venomous green drink that the man couldn't bring himself to part from.

Kinzo: ......Nanjo. You are my close friend, and we've known each other for quite a long time. I am deeply grateful for all that you have done to keep me alive this long.

Nanjo: I have done nothing. ......After all, you never listen to my advice as your physician.

Kinzo: Hahahaha... And you never listen when I warn you about a mistaken chess move you're about to make. It seems we are even.

Genji: ......Master.

Kinzo: Thank you. ......I wouldn't die if I ran out of your medicine, but I would if I ran out of this.

Disregarding Nanjo, who had his face set in a resigned expression, Kinzo took the glass that Genji was holding out to him.

...There are probably very few people who would associate the venomous color, which filled the glass, with an alcoholic beverage.

Kinzo: .........Nanjo. Be honest with me. How much time do I have left?

Nanjo: Well now... How short must I make it to get you to stop drinking?

Nanjo once again let out a sigh of resignation.

Then, he finally spoke to Kinzo as the latter swirled his glass.

Nanjo: ..........You don't have much time.

Kinzo: ...What precisely do you mean by that?

Nanjo: ......Let us illustrate it with the chess game here. You have very nearly achieved checkmate... but you have not yet cornered my king.

Nanjo's gaze was directed at a side table with a massive chess set placed on top of it.

Judging by the positioning of the pieces, the game seemed to be entering its final stage.

The black rook and bishop were cutting deeply into the enemy lines.

The white king had already been castled and cornered, so that even an amateur could see that the match would reach its conclusion before too long.

Every time Nanjo came to give a medical examination, both of them would make a few moves.

Nanjo was hinting that Kinzo would most likely fall into his eternal sleep before this game could be concluded.

...These were less the words of a physician than they were the words of an old friend.

Nanjo: ............Were you a normal patient, I would recommend that you write a will at this point.

Kinzo: ......And what is a will, Nanjo? Handwritten instructions to the vultures on how to devour and scatter my corpse?

Nanjo: No, not at all. ......As the word suggests, it is a way for you to record your will for later generations. It is far more than just a mean to divide up your inheritance.

Kinzo: Hoh. ......And apart from the division of the inheritance, what might I write of?

Nanjo: ............Oh, there's your regrets... and matter you have left unfinished. Things you want to be passed down...... and things you want to tell. ......Anything you want.

Kinzo: ...Hmph. .........Things I want to be passed down and things I want to tell? Ridiculous. I, Ushiromiya Kinzo, have not one thing I want to tell or leave behind!! I was born with nothing. I will die with nothing! There is nothing I wish to leave to my foolish children!! Even if the end were to come today, even if it were to come right now! I shall accept this fate of death witout a trace of fear!! I created everything. My fortune! My prestige! Everything!! Those were built up by me, and they will be lost along with me. There is nothing I wish to leave behind!! Nothing!! After I'm gone, I care not if it all goes to waste! I desire no tomb, no coffin!! Those were the terms of the contract I made with the witch! When I die, everything will be lost! That has been part of the promise since the beginning, and that's why nothing will be left behind. There is nothing I can leave behind!!

After reaching a furious crescendo, Kinzo suddenly slumped over.

...His expression was limp and feeble, as though an evil spirit had possessed him and then left.

Kinzo: ..............However, I do have one regret. I have nothing to leave behind, but there is one thing I cannot leave undone...

Nanjo: .........You would do well to write it down. Of course, it would be best if you could finish it before your time comes. However, even if the worst happens, those who come after will carry it to completion. You must leave behind your regrets so that they can be resolved even if you are unable to do so yourself. ......That is the purpose of a will.

When Nanjo tried to gently pat Kinzo's shoulder, the dying man flew into a sudden rage and batted away Nanjo's hand.


Kinzo: It's useless, useless, useless!! It must be done while I still live! At the moment of my death, my soul will be devoured by the demons of the contract and wiped out of existence! For me, there will be no peace or another world after death! That's why everything must be done before I go!! That's why a will has no meaning for me!! And even if I had a chance to write such a thing, ......if I did have such a chance!! ...I'd want to see it. I want to see it one more time! I want to see Beatrice's smiling face one last time!! Oh, Beatrice, why have you resisted me for so long!? I'll return everything you have given me! I am prepared to lose everything!! So please, show me your smile just one more time... Beatrice, I beg of you! You must be able to hear my plea... that's the kind of woman you are! I beg of you, show yourself to me!! You're here, aren't you?! You're standing there invisible, listening to every word I say, and even now you're mocking me from somewhere in this room, aren't you?! Please, appear before me one more time and smile!! Feel free to scold me, even snatch away my life by your own hands if you wish!! I don't want to die alone like this!! I cannot let myself die until I've seen your smile just one more time!! Aah, Beatrice, Beatrice!! I offer up this life of mine, I offer it up to you!! I'm begging you, Beatriiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment