Monday 16 March 2015

Joined in Love with You - First Meeting

First Meeting

It was several weeks ago, but I still remember that day freshly inside my mind.

It was April, the season in which the cherry blossoms flutter.

But it's still a day before the new term starts.

If I remember correctly, I had walked down the hall holding onto Reo's hand like this too.

Teacher: Can I leave the rest to you, then?

Mai: Sure.

After receiving the documents passed to me, I replied with a smile.

Teacher: Honestly, having you around really helps a lot.

Leaving those words, the teacher hurriedly left the classroom.

Just like that, I was left alone in the classroom with nobody else.

Mai: Sigh... Why do I always have to deal with these things...

Of course, that is a complaint towards myself.

A complaint for myself who had volunteered to help out at the entrance ceremony so I could let the new first-years see what a good senior I am.

And this day was supposed to be a holiday for me, a second-year, too...

Mai: I hate my honor student self.

Just when I sighed all by myself.

Yuuna: Sawaguchi-san, is anything wrong?

Mai: M-Matsubara-san.

Being called out all of a sudden, I became slightly nervous and her name came out of my mouth.

Matsubara Yuuna.

She's a second-year just like me, and a member of the student council.

Oh, by the way, the student council is like a governing organization by students for students.

Being a member under that council would mean that she would shoulder the status of a student representative.

Matsubara Yuuna had been active within the council as a member of the management since her first year.

I even heard that she became the president at the very same time the school term started this year.

Yuuna: The entrance of the new students is about to start, so I figured that I should call you.

Main: Thanks for telling me. I'll be right there.

I have to do something with these documents I have at hand first.

Yuuna: I'm so sorry for having you, a non-council member, help us out.

Mai: Huh? Oh, it's all right.

I've gotten used to handling troublesome matters anyway.

Yuuna: Since the entrance ceremony this year is held on Sunday, there aren't many people who could come to help.

Mai: Well, anyone would want to take a break on a holiday after all.

Yuuna: Yes, that's true.

Mai: Fufu~

Yuuna: Ufufu

Looking at each other, we can't help but laugh at ourselves.

It was as if we're comforting ourselves, who lost our holidays.

Yuuna: Still, Sawaguchi-san... I'm really impressed by how you're always able to handle so many things.

Mai: The same goes for you, Matsubara-san. You look totally like a president already.

Yuuna: Well, about that... Why did they want a second-year like me to be the president, I wonder?

It seems like there will always be people that would naturally stand out in excellence.

Matsubara-san is a typical example of that.

Yuuna: I got it! Sawaguchi-san, why don't you become a member of the student council too? I'm sure we would be stronger with you around.

Mai: Ahaha... Well, I'm rather flattered that you said that, but... Both of my parents are working, so I have to take care of my little siblings at home.

Yuuna: Oh... My apologies.

Mai: It's all right, half of the reason I'm doing this is because I like it. More importantly, don't you think you should be in a hurry? If I remembered correctly, you have to give an opening speech as the student representative.

Yuuna: Oh, it's that time already.

Matsubara-san raised her voice while looking up on the clock hanging on the wall.

Yuuna: Well then, I should excuse myself now.

Mai: Sure, I'll catch up with you later.

I watched her as she headed out the classroom.

And then suddenly, she came to a halt at the entrance.

Yuuna: Oh, I just remembered. If it's possible for you, could you take a brief stroll around the school building? There might be new students who got lost.

Mai: Alright, I got it.

Yuuna: I'll take a look around the field on my way too.

With that said, Matsubara-san trotted out the classroom.

Mai: As expected of her... To even notice such detailed matters.

I could understand why had she been recommended for the president of the student council even though she isn't a third-year student.

I walked down the hall while looking at the queue of first-years with their completely new uniforms moving into the auditorium as if they were being sucked in.

Mai: I was in that line too last year.

Looking at this scenery, I felt that one year had passed by too quickly.

Or rather, the ten years in which I ascended from kindergarten to St. Michael's felt as if they just passed by in a blink of an eye.

Whoa, I feel like I've been wasting my life.

Maybe I should try to make my life more meaningful from now on.

Mai: Now that I think about it, today was soooo meaninglessly wasted too...

Just when I started drowning in my depression, a familiar uniform in front of me caught my eye.

Mai: Ah...

The moment the person wearing that uniform came into my vision...

An indescribable feeling struck me.

Reo: .........

The image of a delicately crafted French doll immediately surfaced into my mind.

Her light and airy hair shone with radiance from bathing in the sunlight that entered through the windows.

Her eyebrows were slim and neat, while the placement of her eyes, nose and mouth achieved a fine balance on her pretty face.

Her big round eyes looked as beautiful as a transparent crystal.

Her pale white skin shone of smoothness so delicate that I wondered what she ate growing up.

I, for onw, really want to know. Maybe I should ask her...

Mai: Wait, this isn't the time for something like that. You there!

Reo: .........

Huh?

She ignored me and walked away.

Maybe she's so nervous on her first day here that she didn't hear me.

Mai: You're a first-year, right?

Reo: .........

No response came from my second attempt.

I'm sure she had heard me this time, though...

Mai: Hey, if you're a first-year, you need to hurry to the auditorium. The entrance ceemony is going to start.

Reo: That's got nothing to do with me.

She answered rudely.

Still, her voice sounded younger than she looks.

Mai: What do you mean, nothing to do with you...? I don't think it's good for a new student to miss the entrance ceremony.

Reo: .........

The French doll shot a fiery glare at me.

Though her face showed signs of sullenness, it actually looked quite captivating.

Mai: Anyway, follow me. I'll bring you to the auditorium.

Reo: Why do I have to go to a place like that anyway?

Mai: Why, you say? Well, that's because...

Reo: ...I'm going home. Let go of my hand.

Mai: Ah-

I had gripped onto her hand without realizing it.

After I let go of her, she flicked her hair and started to walk away.

Mai: Hey, wait! That isn't the way to the auditorium!

Reo: Nghh!?

Whoops, I just naturally grabbed her collar from behind.

Reo: What do you think you're doing!

Mai: Nothing, I just want you to go to the entrance ceremo...

Reo: I-I...

Mai: I?

Reo: I'm not a first-yeaaaaarrrrrr!!

No comments:

Post a Comment