Tuesday 10 March 2015

Dramatical Murder - Ribsteez and Rhyme

Ribsteez and Rhyme

When I was freed from Yoshie-san and went out, it was already night time.

Aoba: ...Ren, good job back there.

Ren: ...If it can't be avoided, I'll do what I must.

Ren crouches down in the bag wearily.

Clara seems to like Ren in such a manner that when our eyes meet, it looks like he's begging for help.

The personality of Allmates can be set to one's liking, it changes with each environment little by little.

As a result, a difference comes out in the chemistry between Allmates just like with people.

Ren seems to not like Clara. Unfortunately for Ren, I think it's a bit entertaining.

Ren: Are  you okay too, Aoba?

Aoba: ...Somehow.

After Yoshie-san stopped me, I was treated to a cake that had a hige amounto of whipped cream on it: she'd made it in a cooking class.

...More accurately, I was forced to eat it all.
Thanks to that, I now have severe heartburn.

Aoba: So, let's go home now...

I pat Ren's back to encourage my fellow soldier who has barely evaded death, and begin to walk towards home.

The town was now dressed in night and flashy neon lights lit up the shops everywhere.

Because illegal construction isn't regulated, the sky in the old resident district is covered with the shadows of distorted buildings. That's why it's kind of dark even during the day.

When night falls, groups that almost seem like they were in hiding until then come out. Ribsteez groups gather too, so there's a completely different vibe from daytime.

Ribsters are people in Old Resident District teaming up and fight in in turf wars by themselves.

Because Ribsteez is older than Rhyme, the guys doing Rib look down on the ones doing mostly Rhyme.

The Ribsters think of those who do Rhyme as "big headed wise guys who live in their own fantasy worlds".

But since it seems like some Ribsters that are switching to Rhyme, lately there have been many quarrels between the two groups.

While I advance through the lively atmosphere, my hand is suddenly grabbed from behind.

Aoba: !

Man 1: Ooh, isn't thi a Brain Nuts jacket?

The person who grabs my arm is a frivolous man who hair is dyed red. Probably younger than me.

Man 2: Hey, wasn't this design on premier right now?

This time a green haired huy comes closer with a smile. Wow, their hair colors, is it Christmas?

Man 1: Oh no, I want this sooooo bad! Hey, mister!

The red haired one looks at me with an artificial smile.

Aoba: ...They sell these at the shop in front of the station.

When I try to shake off his hand with great effort, the redhead looks at me angrily.

Man 1: Wait a sec, hey.

Man 2: What's with your attitude?

Man 1: I'm tellin' you I want this right here and now. You deaf?

Man 2: And by the way, we're Bug Bomb. Ever heard of us? So, what's all this? You underestimating us?

The green haired guy holds out his wrist proudly.

On it is a tattoo of a winking girl with enormous breasts leaning over a big pink bomb.

Whoa.

Aren't these guys ashamed of having someone carve that on them...?

And I haven't heard of Bug Bomb before.

Even though this tattoo would also be a thing that people in teams do, I knew very well that these guys were underlings.

Because they're only that, they like to pick up fights openly like this.

Aoba: Lame.

Man 1: Aah? What'd you say just now?

Aoba: I just called you lame.

Man 2: Huuuh? You, what's your team?

Aoba: I'm not in one.

Man 1: Ha!? Don't tell me you're a no-mark?

Man 2: Seriously!?

Red and Green look at each other and start to smile stupidly.

Man 1: You can't be serious!

There are tag arts used as team symbols in Rib, and the team's tag is tattooed somewhere on your body when you join.

Those who don't have a tattoo are assumed to not do Rib. That's why it's common that no-marks become targets of diversion for Ribsters.

There's no team that holds a grudge if you happen to kill a no-mark.

Man 1: Heeh, if you're a no-mark, means it's okay to do you in.

Man 2: 'Cause we can afford to. Hey bro, let's go over there for a little while, okay?

Mizuki: Better leave while you're ahead.

Man 1: Huh!?

Red and Green throw an exaggerated glare at the voice coming from behind them.

Mizuki: If you get involved with him, he'll break both of your jaws.

Man 1: Haa? What? Who're you?

Man 2: ...Aah.

As soon as the green haired one sees the owner of the voice, his facial expression stiffens.

Man 2: Hey, this is bad...

Man 1: What's bad?

Man 2: That's... the leader of Dry Juice, Mizuki.

Man 1: What!? Dry Juice...!?

Mizuki: Do you know that guy's killer technique? Fox's heel drop. Eat it once and it'll break your jaw.

Man 1: Tch...! If you're from Dry Juice, you should've said so from the start!

Man 2: L-Let's scram!

After saying worthless last words, the two of them ran off like puppies with their tails between their legs.

Witnessing that, the guy behind me laughs.

Mizuki: That was pretty lame. If you're gonna run, don't start a fight at all.

Already knowing his identity, I turn around.

Aoba: Yo.

Mizuki: Long time no see, Aoba.

This radiantly smiling guy is Mizuki, leader of the largest Rib team, Dry Juice.

Look a bit lower than his dark hair and below one of his green eyes you'll find a tear tattoo, his team's symbol, proudly displayed on his dark skin.

Aoba: What the heck was that fox's heel drop thing?

Mizuki: I was talking about your foot tricks. I came up with the name just now, but whatever. I wasn't wrong to say you've broken some jaws before though, right?

Aoba: That was years ago.

Mizuki: I remember it clearly even now. But anyway, it's unusual for you to be here around this time.

Aoba: Yeah, true.

Mizuki: Did you finally feel like joining me in Dry Juice?

He smiled widely as he spoke, but I just shrugged my shoulders lightly.

Aoba: Nooo waaay. I keep saying I don't want to, remember?

Mizuki: Try joining a team, all sorts of good things come with it.

Mizuki and I hung around a long time ago, we were friends that did a lot of stupid things.

He has a friendly personality, but in tight situations he's capable od exact and tight reasoning.

Since all the guys participating in Rib like to act real tough, I think it's pretty awesome that he was able to put so many of them together to make the largest Rib team.

But I still have no plans to join Dry Juice or become a Ribster.

Aoba: Anyway, I hate anything that would cause me trouble.

Mizuki: I know. But lately, the state of our team has been somewhat fragile.

Aoba: Fragile? Really? Isn't your team the best as always?

Mizuki: It's because of that. Because of Rhyme.

Aoba: Rhyme...

Mizuki's facial expression clouds.

Mizuki: Our members are also sneaking to their side. It's fine to hear that Rhyme is a game where you battle with brains, but in the end it's just a delusional game, right? Honestly, I can't figure out what's so good about it. Are you delusionally protecting your turf or what?

Aoba: Well, yeah, it's weird...

It's not like I couldn't understand the feeling Mizuki harbored against Rhyme.

The same could be said about Rib: that it's a children's foolish war game.

But, despite that, Mizuki is thinking about his team seriously.

He may not forgive the guys who easily jump at the trend.

Mizuki: And then there are those mysterious disappearances.

Aoba: Mysterious disappearances?

Mizuki: You've heard about them, right? Stories about entire Rib teams going missing.

Aoba: Yeah, I have, but isn't that like an urban legend? Besides, it's a rumor from ten years ago.

Mizuki: I don't know the reason, but recently there've been teams that I haven't been seeing for a while now.

Aoba: Are you sure they just didn't make a mistake and get in trouble with the yakuza?

Mizuki: More importantly, some members of the teams which disappeared have come back aimlessly after several days. But it seems they can't remember anything. They've forgotten themselves... It's like their brains have been destroyed or something.

Aoba: But about those disappearances, wasn't the culprit that group Morphine? Morphine itself is like an urban legend.

Mizuki: Well, I guess so...

...Morphine.

Long ago, it was the strongest and most feated legendary team among Ribsters.

Their tag art was full of black from top to bottom and had a heart and a cross. Their strength was wrapped in mystery.

Through there were various rumors, all contents were scattered and nothing made sense.

Those disappearances were the same.

Even if there are guys that saw Morphine, there are no specific stories or evidence at all.

Mizuki: If it turns out that Morphine's not behind this, then I've been thinking that it's probably those Rhyme guys.

Aoba: Isn't that a bit far-fetched?

Mizuki: I'm not completely serious about it, it's just that recently the Rhyme guys have been getting carried away.

Aoba: But as for things like the disappearances, and even destroying people's minds, can they even do that? Wouldn't it have caused a huge commotion if they could?

Mizuki: No, I do know that. That's why I'm not too serious.

Suddenly, a cheer arised nearby. Surrounding people begin to run in that direction.

Mizuki clicks his tongue and grimaces.

Mizuki: ...Rhyme, huh. ...Aaaah, I'm not feeling too well. I'll be leaving. See you, and make sure to show your face at the shop.

Aoba: Okay.

Mizuki: See ya.

Mizuki waves with his open hand and advances through the crowd, pushing away those who are gathering at the Rhyme site.

After Mizuki's figure disappears completely, I turn my face to the direction in which everybody was running to.

I don't hate Rhyme like Mizuki does, but I'm not very interested in it either.

If you meet Mizuki for the first time and talk about Rhyme with him, you'll probably hate it afterward.

Ren: What's the matter?

Aoba: Nothing. Let's keep going.

I pat Ren's head and begin to walk in the noisy alley.

Then...

Suddenly, I'm wrapped in a white light.

Aoba: ...?

A mass of light appears in front of me when I stop to see what happened.

It gradually takes a human form and extends its hand towards me.

It's fingertips brush my cheek - and vanish.

Aoba: Eh...

While I wonder what happened, many people suddenly swarm around me.

Aoba: E. ...Eh? Whoa!

I'm mobbed by an excited group. I don't think I can slip out of here...!

Man 1: Usui, Usui!

A large circle of light floats on the ground, and what appears inside is...

A body of a woman with multiple arms sways slowly, and then stops.

Usui: Now, sorry to have kept you waiting, everyone! Rhyme's starting now! The first battle of today is between Rhyme names 'Player' and 'Route 44'!

...This is Rhyme.

I've seen it several times at a distance, but this is the first time I've been up so close.

What appears within the light is the symbol and referee of Rhyme, Usui.

Usui speaks in a deep voice, contradicting it's appearance.

While brightening the light and swaying two hands, a hige virtual monitor appears over its head.

The audience can watch the state of the game from that monitor.

The participants are already standing on both sides of Usui and adjust the settings on their Allmates.

Usui: Can the newcomer successfully break a winning streak!? Or...!? Okay, 'Player' seems to have finished preparing! 'Route 44'... Are you almost ready too? Both seem to be finished! Well then, let's start already! GAME... START!!!

Usui smiles and raises a hand with a graceful movement unfitting of its voice.

The monitor emits a white light and projects the field.

The audience cheers and hoots unanimously.

Aoba: ...Agh.

Suddenly, a sharp pain runs through my head.

Aoba: .....

I hold my forehead and my gaze wanders.

What?
Is it because the audience is so loud?

Ren: Aoba, are you all right?

Aoba: ...Yeah, I'm fine. But let's go now.

Ren: That would be for the best.

Passing somewhat forcibly between the spectators who were absorbed in Rhyme, I slip out from the mountain of onlookers.

I lean on a nearby wall, exhale, and look down.

Aoba: ...?

...Someone's here?

When I look up, I see a familiar duo.

Virus: Good evening.

Trip: Hey there.

Virus: What's the matter? Are you not feeling well?

Trip: Being in that crowd made you sick?

Aoba: You two... Yeah, that might be the case...

The one with the glasses is Virus, and the powerfully built one is Trip. I've known these two for a long time.

Ren: Aoba, how are you feeling?

Aoba: So-so, but I'll be fine.

Virus: What are you doing in a place like this? It's rare for you to be watching Rhyme.

Aoba: Well, there's no particular reason.

Virus: Are you beginning to become interested in it?

Aoba: Not really.

Trip: Then did you just wander around and wind up here?

Aoba: I did not. And the same goes for you two, what are you wandering around here for?

Virus: We are here because of work.

Trip: It's because the Rhymers have been gatting a little out of hand recently.

There are some so-called dangerous associations in the Old Resident District, these two are members of one.

I got acquainted with them long in the past, back when I was in my teens and did stupid things.

I spent all my time in the western district Wanibashi and didn't go home, and for some reason I was always irritated.

When I was living like that, I once made a mistake in a fight and encountered a person who wanted revenge, and I was sent to the hospital.

It's embarrassing to even remember...

At the moment, only these guys and Granny know about those days.

At one time, we lost contact with each other, but we began to talk again starting a few years ago.

I had become a part-timer, and they had joined the yakuza.

Saying that, here the police are like yakuza so I don't think much of it.

Aoba: Anyway, you two are looking as similar as always. Like twins.

Virus: We are not twins.

Trip: We're not twins.

Virus: Aoba-san, is your work going smoothly?

Trip: Aaah, you worked at an ice cream shop? The one with the penguin aprons? Didn't you get fired after one day?

Aoba: Not one, three days. Now I'm a salesclerk at a junk shop.

Trip: Aah, what was it? Byoudou?

Aoba: 'Heibon'. I've worked there for quite a long time now.

Virus: Working at a place with that name doesn't quite fit you, Aoba-san. Well, if you want to behave violently again, call us any time. We are fairly prosperous, so I'd recommend it.

Aoba: Haha... I'll only accept your thoughts.

Virus: I still often think that I'd like to see your fighting again, Aoba-san.

Trip: That's right, because we're your fans.

Usui: Oh my, 'Route 44' takes 250 damage!! Have we finally reached the climax!?

The excitement of the audience reaches its peack as Usui continues to broadcast the Rhyme.

...Then.

Akushima: HEY, you hooligans!!!

A voice enters, dividing the enthusiastic atmosphere.

Accompanied by police officers is the megaphone-holding, evil eyed detective Akushima.

Virus: Ah, that noisy man has finally arrived.

Akushima: Don't go making a fuss here!!! ALL OF YOU FUCKERS ARE UNDER ARREEEEEST!!!

Usui disappears like smoke and the Rhyme is suspended. The participants and the spectators escape in all directions.

Akushima. He's a detective who abuses his authority and does whatever he wants to.

The number of victims who have been arrested or received abuse by this guy on false charges are countless.

Fitting to his haggard appearance, he's called the god of death of the Old Resident District.

Virus: Better run away from here. You hurry too, Aoba-san.

Aoba: Yeah.

Trip: Bye bye, Aoba.

Akushima: Wait you idiooots!!! DON'T RUN AWAAAAY!!! We're gonna arrest EVERY LITTLE SHITHEAD HEEEEEEERE!!!!!

I begin to run immediately so that I won't get caught by Akushima, who's just about to pop a blood vessel.

I decide to continue to Aoyagi street.

Aoba: ! ...Egh.

I almost get hit by a motorbike when I turn at the corner while running.

I quickly roll onto the ground.

Aoba: .....

I blankly look up at the bike.

The man doesn't get off of it. His eyes are focused on me.

...When I see his eyes, for some reason, chills run through me.

The man says nothing and speeds off on his bike again.

Aoba: ! ...Hey!

I stand up in a hurry, but it's already too late.

The motorbike makes a roaring sound and speeds down the street in the twinkling of an eye.

Aoba: ......

That bastard...!

He almost caused a traffic accident, and he didn't even apologize for almost running someone over, either!

It wasn't an uncommon thing in this town, but I was still angry.

I shudder when I think that I could have been run over by that man.

Ren: Aoba, are you all right?

Aoba: Yeah, just barely. But that was close.

Ren: It's a relief you're safe.

Aoba: Yeah.

I'm calmed by Ren's concerned words and my anger fades.

Well, since I was safe, it should be fine...

I change my mood and begin to walk home.

No comments:

Post a Comment