Monday 9 March 2015

Dramatical Murder - Junk Shop Heibon

Junk Shop Heibon

Aoba: Hello, thank you for calling. This is Junk Shop Heibon.

Man (phone): Uh, umm... There's something I'd like to ask.

Aoba: Yes?

Man (phone): Do you have any custom parts for S II type Allmates in your shop?

Aoba: Yes we do. We also have them in stock.

Man (phone): Ah, is that right. I see. Thank you very much.

Aoba: Would you like to place an order?

Man (phone): Ah, no. Um, well...

Aoba: Yes?

Man (phone): Well, this may come off as very sudden, but...

Aoba: Yes?

Man (phone): If you're okay with it, then... When your shop closes today, could I meet you?

Aoba: ...What?

Man (phone): Ah, no. Umm, how should I say this, you see, you voice. It's like, you have a very nice voice, I was thinking...

Aoba: *sigh* ...No, no, not at all, I'm very grateful. Ah, by the way, sir, I just remembered one thing, would that be all right?

Man (phone): Ah, sure...

Aoba: In fact, to continue the talk about S II type custom parts a while ago, this time the new parts of that series will be arriving shortly.

Man (phone): Right...

Aoba: So, we are accepting reservations and specially introducing them only to the most loyal customers right now. Would you be interested? I think they will be popular products and will sell out immediately, but you will definitely be able to purchase them if you reserve now.

Man (phone): Yes, um, but...

Aoba: Of, course, because this is a special opportunity limited to special customers only, if you would like to reserve... I could do it for you as a service.

Man (phone): S-Service?

Aoba: Yes... a service.

Man (phone): A-Ah, then by all means! I'll- I'll make a reservation!

Aoba: Certainly, thank you very much. Now then, could you please send your personal data over here? ...Okay, thank you very much! We have received your reservation. Well then, please keep supporting our shop in the future too!

Man (phone): Yes!

Aoba: Thanks! *turns off phone* ...Haah.

As soon as I hang up the phone, I let out a hige sigh.

Although I do it knowingly, speaking to the customers with ulterior motives is really annoying.

Well, if it goes well, I'm sure to sell something so it's fine.

-Your voice is so wonderful, I need to meet you no matter what.

Among the people who contact out shop by phone, there are an awful lof of guys who say that.

They want to meet me when all they know is my voice...

If I was a woman it'd be better, but usually a guy wouldn't ask another guy something like that.

At first I could handle them well, but like anyone else would, I became irritated when it kept happening.

But it also became easier to entice customers to buy products.

From then on, like that phone call just now, I could make even more sales.

Strangely enought though, it doesn't happen in the actual shop.

Sometimes a customer actually comes to meet me after a telephone call, but I just play it off.

They all end up leaving without noticing I was the owner of that voice.

Since there's not much harm done, I just think "Well, whatever", and leave it be.

Aoba: Nnnn... Gah. The manager should be back soon.

I stretch my arms out wide and place my eyes on the digital clock on the counter.

This shop provides a variety of things ranging from small expendable supplies to specialized metal parts at a bargain price, Junk Shop Heibon.

I was attracted by the subtless of the store name and started working here; I wonder how long it's been... Anyway, it was a long time ago.

Aoba: ...Hm? A message, huh.

I was spacing out and had my elbow on the counter when the Coil on my arm rang.

A Coil is something like a mobile phone, but it's much more convenient than just that.

Phone calls, messages, payments, identification, and of course watching TV can all be done with this one machine.

Aoba: Let's see... Captive Princess?

Is it a new kind of advertisement?
The adult kind, maybe.

It'll probably continue like "Please help me, I'm troubled by my aching body", or something.

Delete...

Aoba: Geh!

As I was handling my Coil, something slammed into my waist.

I fall from the chair and something heavy lands on my back.

Three giggling voices.
The culprits had to be...

Nao: Aoba's opeeen!

Kio: Open like a book!

Mio: You're so uncool!

Aoba: ...Why... you... braaaaats!

The evil brat siblings finally appeared.

The eldest son, Kio, the second son, Nao, and the eldest daughter, Mio.

A group of annoying neighborhood kids who only come here to go on wild rampages.

Aoba: I've told you guys so many times, this isn't a playground! Can't you kids learn anything?

Nao: Aaah! Aoba's looking at a pervy e-mail!

Kio: Eh!?

Mio: No way!

Nao raises his voice after looking at my Coil over my shoulder, and the remaining two hear it and lean all over me.

I-I'm gonna suffocate...

Aoba: G-Get off me, stupid...

Nao: Pervy e-mail! Pervy e-mail! Aoba's a pervert! Pervert!

Mio: Grown-ups are dirty!

Kio: Nu-uh! It's some message about buying bad stuff! 'Cuz this shop is sketchy!

Nao: Sketchyyy! Sketchyyy!!

Mio: This shop really does suck!

Aoba: Ugh... Guh.

Nao: All right! Let's arrest the pervy, dirty, and sketchy Aoba!

Mio: Let's do it!

Nao: Arreeeest!

Aoba: Guh, ugh... Get off already, you braaaaaaaaats!!

Nao/Mio/Kio: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

I jolt up, legs wobbling, trying to shake them off.

They don't care if I say they're childish. There's no way those kids would give up just like that.

Nao: Hey, hey, that thing on top of the shelf, what's it used for?

Kio: It's probably a tool to beat someone up!

Mio: Scaaary! Boys are savages!

Their attention had already moved on to other things...

Aoba: You guys... Geh!

I was shocked when I looked at my Coil.
At some point it had started to display a completion screen.

Oh yeah, I had a feeling I heard a strange sound from it a while ago...

Maybe I accidentally pushed a button when I was messing with the kids.

I hope I didn't download some strange program...

Aoba: Aaah, come on, this is horrible...

As I stand there confused, the retro bell on the front door rings.

Haga: Phew, today's delivery destination was somewhat far.

The store manager, Haga-san, who had gone out for a delivery, was back.

Haga: I'm sorry for being late, Aoba-ku...

Haga-san's smiling face droops when he sees the evil brats.

Considering the damage they caused to the shop, well, it's a natural reaction.

Haga: ...Oh, you kids, hello. You're here.

Nao: Kio, take that dooown.

Kio: Wait a sec. Here we... Hiya!

Mio: Kio's shorter than I thought!

Kio: What'd you say!?

Haga: H-Hey kids, it's dangerous to play inside the shop. You might get hurt.

Haga-san warns in confusion.
But the brats aren't listening.

Kio: Just an inch...! Eih!

Haga: K-Kids...

Kio: Aaagh! You're so noisy!

Nao: Shut up baldyyy!

Kio: ...Ah.

Mio: Ah.

Aoba: Ah.

...Oh boy, he said it.

The air around Haga-san freezes.

Haga: ...You children playing there. Excuse me for asking, but... What was that just now...? Come on, please try saying it one more time. The first word was... ba?

Nao: Ba...

Haga: Ba?

Nao: Ba... Ba... Ba-Bad, this is bad, my stomach hurts, so- I- I'm going hooome!

Kio: Yeah, let's go home!

Mio: Let's go!

The evil brats run out of the store at full speed.

Haga: ...Ba...? What was the continuation of ba... What happened to the ba...?

Aoba: Ah, that's right boss! Yes, yes, listen to this!

I start talking in a hurry to the mumbling Haga-san.

Aoba: There've been more orders for the S series of A parts again!

Haga: ...Parts?

Aoba: Yes! Wow, just like we expected! It's just like you said! It's a 50% increase in sales from last month!

Haga: Is that... so.

Aoba: Yes it is! It's increasing! The sales are doubling!

Haga: Sales... doubling! Well, well, that's good to hear. If they are selling so well, we should increase the stock a little.

After Haga-san listens to my good news,  he finally returns to normal.

What a relief... That was dangerous.

Haga-san is so outrageous that once he snaps, he begins to act violently...

When he returned to his usual state, he pushed up his glasses, raised his eyebrows, and laughed.

Haga: Ah, really... They sure are some troubling children, aren't they.

Aoba: Y-Yeah. Aren't they?

Haga: If they weren't so mischievous, they'd be quite cute...

Aoba: That's for sure!

I'm still surprised no matter how many times I see him change to almost a different person.

I think it's said that people like that are fast to flip the switch...

Haga: Oh yeah, Aoba-kun.

Haga-san walks to the counted and picks up a paper bag by his feet.

Haga: I'm sorry, but could you deliver this baggage to the courier? You can wrap it up for today as you go.

Aoba: Eh, is that okay?

Haga: Yes. In fact, a customer is suddenly coming here today, so I thought I'd close the shop early.

Aoba: In that case, I'll do it.

I pick up my bag next to me and take the paper bag from Haga-san.

As I check the slip, I notice the destination is a bit far.

This is a package going to the courier.

Aoba: I'll be leaving then. And thanks for today.

Haga: Yes, good work. Be careful.

I bow at the widely smiling Haga-san and step outside.

The time display on my Coil reads 3:00PM. Some people mingle in this area even though it's back street.

There were several routes I could use to get to the courier. I wondered which would be the fastest.

I take a soft lump of fur with both my hands out from my bag on my shoulder.

While holding the sleeping lump of fur, I start it up by pressing my hand against its forehead.

Aoba: Ren. Wake up.

When I call him, he opnes his deep-black eyes with a click.

Ren: ...Aoba.

Aoba: I'd like to go to the courier, can you search for the quickest route?

Ren: Understood.

Silently, Ren lightly touches his paws to my upper arm.

Ren: Road 241 at east is blocked because of a police inspection. Buses are canceled for maintenance. It is quicker to make a detour bypassing the north terminal.

Aoba: I see, thanks.

When I pat his head, Ren barks once and wags his tail.

Aoba: Okay. Let's get going.

I put on the headphones hangign from my neck and pushed the play button.

No comments:

Post a Comment