Friday 27 March 2015

Da Capo II - The Beginning of the Rehearsal

The Beginning of the Rehearsal

Anzu: You're late.

As soon as I opened the classroom door, Anzu was standing there to tell me off.

I was sure she was angry, but she was being expressionless as usual, so I couldn't be sure.

I put my hands together and begged for forgiveness.

Yoshiyuki: I'm sorry. I was totally in day off mode.

Anzu: I told you, puppet show rehearsal is every weekend.

Yoshiyuki: I-I'm so sorry.

The desks and chairs were already placed against the walls so we could practice.

Everyone was calmly talking about the puppet show and getting ready.

Akane: Ah, you're finally here. You're late, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Yoshiyuki: Please, please forgive me.

Akane: Man... You don't show up unless you get a booty call from Koko-chan. You're hopeless, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Koko: I don't like the idea of a booty call telling him to get to school.

Yoshiyuki: That's like an underclassman being called out by a delinquent. Ah, in your case, it's a gangstress, huh?

Koko: You don't call them that nowadays.

Wataru: Yo, you finally showed up.

Wataru popped up from the corner of the classroom, lumber in his hands.

Yoshiyuki: What's that?

Wataru: There's a lumber shop in my neighborhood. I thought maybe we could use this timber for the stage.

Wataru: I'm going to show these to Anzu as samples.

Yoshiyuki: Wow, you're so prepared.

Wataru: Sure, I like parties. Doesn't everyone get more motivated if you hurry up and get everything like this together?

He was trying to show off his manliness in front of Koko and the others.

Koko and Akane just laughed at him.

Wataru was always like that.

He didn't say much when we were planning for the cultural festival and sports day, but once things were decided, he was the first to start moving.

How quickly he moved was absolutely amazing.

Anzu: Can they give us this timber if we need it?

Wataru: Probably. There was a pile of this stuff in the corner of the factory's lot, so I think it's scrap wood.

Anzu: You think...

Wataru: Hahaha, don't worry. I'll make sure.

Koko: That's amazing, Wataru-kun. You're so quick at finding these things.

Wataru: Hahaha, don't mention it.

Wataru must be happy because Koko praised him. He put the timber on his nose and balanced it well.

What are you, a seal?

Yoshiyuki: I see. You're all working so hard for the show. Uh-huh.

Maya: Why are you talking like you don't have anything to do with this? You should be the one working the hardest...

How long had she been standing behind me?

The class president looked haughty as she spoke to me.

Yoshiyuki: Oh, hello. Nice day today, isn't it?

Maya: Everyone, gather around.

The class president ignored my greeting as usual, and started to address everyone.

Everyone stopped talking, and sat on desks and chairs to listen to her.

Maya: We're going to decide on the rest of the cast.

The class president stood at the podium, and wrote something on the blackboard.

The show's title.

"The Gilft of the Holy Night: Santa's First Love"

Maya: So, Yukimura-san, the one who prepares the project, decided on the title. Yukimura-san, please explain.

Anzu nodded expressionlessly, and stood at the podium with a stack of papers.

Anzu: First, the play's concept is based on the first love between a female Santa and a human boy. I wanted a suitable theme for Christmas, so I went with miraculous magic.

This was the story Anzu created.

A blind boy was living with a female Santa's family, but he didn't know it was Santa's family.

Santa and the boy liked each other, but they couldn't admit it.

One day, a rich amn showed up, and said he wanted the girl to be his wife... or something like that.

According to Anzuy, there were funny scenes as well as sad scenes.

Hmmm.

It was written by a girl.

There were a few things I, as a guy, just couldn't understand, though...

Well, it's supposed to have a happy ending, so I guess it's okay.

She hadn't quite finished all the details, but the characters were already set.

Now, they're talking about casting.

Anzu: We only decided on who to cast for the leading roles earlier, so I'd like to cast the remaining roles now.

The heroine is... Koko, I think.

Koko listened to Anzu talk with a slightly worried face.

Wataru: You've got it nice. You're the main character.

Yoshiyuki: ...Has that really been decided?

Wataru: What're ou saying? It was a unanimous decision.

...I see.

I thought I'd fallen asleep in class and dreamed it up.

Anzu: Yoshiyuki, is there a problem?

Urk...

Anzu... stares at me and though her face was expressionless, the pressure was immense.

Akane: Of course there isn't a problem, right?

Yoshiyuki: Hah, no.

Akane made a mach grab for my shoulder as if she was a yakuza trying to collect on a debt.

All I could do was nod submissively in fear.

Hmmm. I had no other choice.

Koko: .........

My eyes met with Koko's.

Hmm?

Koko was angrily flapping her lips.

She wanted to tell me something, but she didn't want Anzu and Akane to hear it so she couldn't say it out loud.

What, what?

Yoshiyuki is... a pervert?

What?! How do you know?!

Eh? That's not it?

Why don't you fight back?

..........

She also said...

Anzu: *stare*

Akane: Hee-hee-hee-hee.

Yoshiyuki: .........

Koko-sama, I just can't.

If I were to say "I don't want to play the main character" and fight back...

Akane and the class president would kill me instantly.

Also, Anzu would put a curse on me.

I don't want to die yet.

I made myself look pitiful, and shook my head while looking at Koko.

Koko: Hauuuu.

Koko looked extremely pitiful too.

Anzu: Does anyone have any objections?

...Nobody raised their hands.

In fact, they all looked relieved that they didn't have to do anything laborious.

*sob* You're all so cold...

Anzu: Okay, the main character is Yoshiyuki, and the heroine is Koko.

Yoshiyuki: Boo, hoo, hoo.

Koko: Boo, hoo, hoo.

Anzu: Next, the rest of the cast...

Anzu stretched to write on the blackboard.

The girl Santa's father, mother.

A rich noble.

Villager A, B.

And.

Santa's boss.

Yoshiyuki: B-Boss?

Anzu: The girl Santa's granpa.

I see.

And the rest?

A narrator... a lighting op, a sound technician, run crew, and scene painters... There's more...

Anzu: We want to have original background music, so I want Koko to work on that...

Koko: Okaaaaaay. Then I'll just do the music.

Anzu: Nope.

Anzu's immediate answer made Koko sad.

Female Student: Do you want those in the art club to take care of the designs?

Male Student: We'll do too.

The art club and manga research club members volunteered.

Nobody objected to that either.

Suginami: I think the class president would be great as the narrator. What do you think?

Yoshiyuki: H-Hey, when did you get here?

I know he wasn't there when I got to the classroom.

Suginami was sitting behind me as if he'd been sitting there the entire time.

I'ms ure he was planning something disruptive, and snuck into the classroom without anyone noticing him.

Tsk. He joined the meeting with a cool face.

Anzu: I see. What do you think, class president? The narrator?

Maya: ...You're scheming something, aren't you?

The class president glared at Suginami without answering Anzu's question.

He just smiled.

Suginami: You speak clearly, and your voice carries well. I think you'd be perfect.

Wataru: Ah, I agree too! If you're the narrator, it's like... It sharpens things! It's like it won't be a fairy tale story anymore.

As Wataru said, I thought the story would take an edge if the class president played the narrator.

However, I have a feeling that these two talking was having an opposite effect.

Maya: I'm sure you're planning something stupid, and you just want my attention somewhere else.

Wataru: Oh, no. No way.

Suginami: This is the last event of the year. How could you miss it as class president? It'll be good fun to have a magnificent ending.

The class president scoffed as she heard Suginami's words.

It seemed that she had her own reasons to behave that way.

Maya: Well, if you insist, I don't mind doing...

She answered coldly.

Anzu: Okay. Then the class president is the narrator.

Anzu nodded.

Anzu: The other characters...

Wataru: Yes! I'll understudy for the main character!

Anzu: There's no such thing.

Anzu's second immediate response shut Wataru down.

Everyone talked excitedly about who'd take which part.

I sat in my chair and stretched leisurely.

Suginami: Good luck, Main Character-kun.

Suginami talked to me from behind.

Yoshiyuki: Yeah, I guess.

Suginami: Although she was making a fuss, Miss Tsukishima seems to be having fun too.

Yoshiyuki: Do you think so?

Koko was talking to Akane about the play...

She does seem to be having fun.

Well, if my partner is having fun, I guess I will too.

Actually, I don't mind it too much myself, either.

This is my last year at the affiliated academy, so I'm hoping this will make some good memories.

Yoshiyuki: What about you?

Suginami: I've been thinking, but... So the class president doesn't get suspicious, I think I'm going to take a part.

Yoshiyuki: So you are scheming something after all.

Suginami: Your assumption is somewhat correct.

Suginami grinned at me.

Then the casting started.

Anzu: Then Wataru is going to be a rich noble.

Wataru: Yippie! I get to take Tsukishima away from the main character!

Anzu: You get dumped, though.

Wataru: Aw maaaaaaaaan!

Wataru was seriously depressed, despite it only being a puppet show.

What a difficult guy.

Akane was selected to play the girl Santa's mother.

Akane: Hee-hee-hee. I'm a bewitching mother.

Male Student: Ohhh!

Anzu: You're just a regular mother.

Akane: Darn.

How can a puppet be bewitched?

And at last, the Santa's boss is...

Anzu: I think Suginami-kun would be good for this part.

Yoshiyuki: S-Suginami?

Suginami: It's as big a part as the main character, right?

He spoke as if he was talking about someone else.

Well, if he was to take this big part, the class president wouldn't be suspicious.

A few more cast members were selected, as was the rest of the backstage crew.

Five or six guys and girls were paired off and selected.

Anzu: The set crew, please talk to Itabashi-kun about acquiring materials.

I guess she's talking about the timber from earlier.

Wataru pounded his chest in confidence while facing the set crew.

During the meeting, the film crew, the sound crew, and the puppet production crew were assigned, and now, everyone had a job.

Anzu: Okay, we'll talk about the rehearsal schedule and other details in the afternoon.

Anzu bowed like a robot.

Everyone applauded to cheer her on.

It'll be a lot of work, but it'll be so much fun.

[Movement Select]
-> Head to Student Council Room
-> Head to the Classroom
-> Head to the Hallway
-> Head to the Music Room
-> Head to the Cafeteria

-> Head to the Entranceway

No comments:

Post a Comment